Originally formed from the British Standard for occupational health and safety management systems, BS8800 and BS18001, ISO45001 is an occupational health and safety (OHS) management system specification which has been globally adopted. It has been developed by a group of certification bodies and various national standard organisations, with the intention of enabling companies to control their OHS risks whilst demonstrating their commitment to providing a safe working environment that protects its employees.
ISO45001 key principles are:
- Consultation and participation of workers in OHS matters
- Involvement of all personnel within the OHS management standard
- Protecting the workforce from work related injury and ill health
- Fulfilment of health and safety compliance regulations
- Providing a safe and healthy work environment
The benefits of ISO45001 are:
- Reduced work-related accidents and illness
- Reduced costs associated with accidents and illness
- Compliance to latest legislation
- Reduced risk of citations and/or penalties
- Improved business image through a demonstrable commitment to managing and minimizing risks to employees and customers.